Monday, March 05, 2007

Cooyah*

Jesus said to him, "Follow me!" Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" Jesus answered, "…what is that to you? You must follow me." John 21:19-22
When teaching children I’m constantly reminding them to focus on me so that they can follow my directions. Children are easily distracted. They are always concerned about what everybody else is doing and whether or not my instructions to them will be the same. “Focus,” I say, “and follow my instructions.”
Jesus tells Peter, “Follow me.” Distracted, Peter looks back and asks about John. Jesus’ answer is pointed, “What is that to you?” or as we might say, “Mind your own business.” John’s calling was not Peter’s concern; it was the Lord’s. In fact John was already doing what Jesus has now told Peter twice to do, “Follow me.” Peter needed to focus and follow.
Just like children and Peter, we are, at times, too easily distracted. Our attention must be on the Lord and the instructions he is giving us; not on what everybody else is doing. The next time we are tempted to question another’s calling, let’s remember what Jesus would say, “What is that to you?” Let’s just focus on Jesus and follow him.
*Cooyah is patois for "look here" or "pay attention."

No comments: